Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wooden Sculpture near Parliament

One day I had to make a trip to the American Embassy and along the way I glanced down a street and saw THIS!!! Picture my surprise as the neon orange wood structure peeked back at me.So when we had a free moment I brought Kirk back to see my discovery. This sculpture is right next to the European Parlement. Someone spent a long time thinking this through and constructing it. I couldn't take my eyes off of the art!
An update: I just found this explanation for the art piece, titled The Sequence:

Arne Quinze for the Flemish Parliament
The immediate environment of the Flemish Parliament undergoes a restyling. As of 13 November 2008 a giant wooden installation, lasting for at least 5 years, covers the Leuvenseweg connecting the Flemish Parliament with the House of Flemish Representatives. Belgian artist Arne Quinze signs for this unique piece of art. Quinze: “THE SEQUENCE bridges the communication gap between people and generates movement in the city. I want to reconnect people and let them interact with each other like they did in the past on squares. At least people talked to each other then.” Therefore concrete elements serve as the basis for the sculpture. It gives people a moment to reset their minds and think about what’s going on in those two buildings. The physical connection between neighbors, the Flemish Parliament and the House of Flemish Representatives reflects the possible connection between all neighbors in Brussels. Cross-culture connections, a connection with Europe, its diversity and entity.

No comments: