Monday, January 18, 2010

Limoges

After the somber mood of Oradour sur Glane we visited the nearby city of Limoges. It was quite a switch. I was elated to be in this town so famous for its porcelain. Growing up I coveted my mom's Limoges animal figurines. The handmade treasures were delicate and perfect. I couldn't believe I was traveling to see the spot where these fine pieces came from. The name "Limoges" is fitting the way it rolls over your tongue curvy and beautiful.
We pulled up directly to the Musee National de la Porcelaine Adrien-Dubouche. This museum, in a 19th-century building, has the largest public collection of Limoges porcelain. Its 12,000 pieces illustrate the history of glassmaking and ceramics throughout the ages.


I walked through the museum with my mouth gaping open. What a splendid collection! There were items of every possible shape, size and color. I was elated that they allowed photography so I can share some of the luscious images of ornate porcelain detail.




The small teacups reminded me of living with my British study abroad host family. They collected such teacups from all over the world. At the end of our time living together they invited me to take one cup from their collection to remember my time with them. My selection was not unlike the delicate turquoise cups and saucers.








After the museum we found the famous Pavillon de la Porcelaine. Here they sell Haviland Porcelain at factory prices. I was itching to check it out. Kirk kept Connor occupied in the car so I could browse and shop without chasing her 2-year-old fingers all around the breakable shop.
I found these two plate and rim bowl settings for 5 euros per piece. What a deal. There were only these 2 settings so I thought Kirk and I would have to have "Limoges Dinner Date Night" just the two of us once a month on our duo of plates. They are exquisite and I love them.
This serving bowl with matching cereal bowls were my other find at the Porcelain Pavillon. The bowls were just 1 euro each! Not sure what I am going to do with them, but for now I am just enjoying the pretty "Made in Limoges" stamp on them!Limoges is simply a porcelain-loving girls delight!

No comments: