Friday, June 19, 2009

Pentecost in Paris

Monday was a Pentecost Holiday so we decided to put our tourist hats back on. We returned to the Latin Quarter and saw the Saint Chapelle. Which was of course stunning with the stained glass windows and regal decor.And more used books on the street. I cannot explain my fascination. Even though they were mostly in French and yellowed with age. It is just a dusty treasure hunt for me to see if anything strikes a chord of literary familiarity.We saw what had to be a professional opera singer pass us while jogging. He was belting out his opera notes full force. Kirk thinks he was training and exercising his lungs. What a treat!

Next up was the Pantheon in Paris. This is not to be confused with the Pantheon Church in Rome, one of my all time favorites. No this Pantheon was more of a museum/crypt full French greats. There rests Voltaire, Marie Curie and Roussillon. I think it was just the thing for my history major husband!


Connor and I, we loved playing outside with the enormous columns....
So long Paris. Until next time. At which point we already know we want to go to: the Catacombs, Musee de l'Orangerie, Musee D'Orsay, the fountains near the Eiffel Tower, and the Versailles public gardens. Oh there is just so much to soak in. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh memories. Saint Chappelle was perhaps my favourite church anywhere in the world. I love the way you climb up that dark staircase & then pop out into the light of the magnificant stained glass.

I've been keenly following your posts (and drooling with jealously) - keep them coming!

Love to you all,
Jen xx

Louise said...

Sainte Chappelle is probably my favorite, too. I visited it for the first time with my grandmother when I was nine years old, and I still remember the way I felt in the church, and the giant rose window. I know Connor will remember some of what you all are doing with her, too. Especially with all of your wonderful photos!