Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Today we celebrate Earth Day. Happy Earth Day! Do something GREEN today.

I have found after having a child I think about things more long term than just my life here on Earth. New life beckons that. I want this world to be financially, politically, and environmentally stable and peaceful for Connor and for Connor's children and Connor's grandchildren. I have found that the smallest things that start off feeling an imposition do stick and become positive habits. Recycling, turning off lights and water, and walking whenever possible. Heck, thanks to living in Europe I am even a convert in bringing your own reusable bags to the grocery store. Now if only I could eliminate the Diet Coke bottles. Still working on that goal!

I was searching the web to try to find an age appropriate activity for Connor and me to do today in recognition of our Earth. I found this one that involves making a paper mache balloon globe: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/globe/

I think we are still a little young for paper mache glue and paint. I am including on my blog so we can remember to do it next year OR so if it works for your family, you can make these charming globes. It seems an easy activity in terms of using pretty basic materials, but I suppose pretty messy. But what a good lesson in geography and understanding our place in the world.

Finally, I would be remiss in talking about new life and future generations without offering a hearty congratulations to our dear friends, Eric and Tracy Arnold, on the birth of their first child - a son - Griffin Scott Arnold born in Nashville, TN on April 20. Welcome to the world Baby Griffin!!! We can't wait to meet you.

No comments: