Friday, March 27, 2009

Umbrellas and Coats

Last night Karen planned a fun "Girls Night Out" and I had a fun and fabulous time meeting new friends and enjoying glasses of wine out on the town. It wasn't quite like "Sex and the City" girlfriend dinners, but it was maybe as close as it gets as 'expat-mothers-of-young-children' in cold and rainy Brussels. Sweet Kirk took care of Connor and I put on black heels and pants (I can't remember the last time I wasn't wearing jeans and hiking boots).

It was a dreary, rainy night though. And I attempted public transportation. It took a lot longer and it was a lot colder back and forth that way (than in the car), but it was also very urban and the time of quiet solitude en route was a welcome break after constant activity with Connor. We ate at L'Ultime Atome, which is right off of the Chausee d'Ixelles (photo not taken last night - picture this place but dark and rainy). Very yummy with lots of menu choices and good ambiance.

So it was while walking to the bus stop that I thought about how funny it is that I live in such a cold and rainy city now. I absolutely detest and boycott umbrellas and jackets whenever possible. Always have and always will. But here those are two primary necessities. Yet last night was the first time I have carried an umbrella in the 6 months we have been here. I prefer to run it out. And since Connor's stroller is covered, it usually works. Last night I was dueling with my umbrella and wasn't sure if it was going to turn inside out or stay right side in. I can't imagine how I could push a stroller while carrying an umbrella at the same time! A mother's multitasking never ends.

No comments: