Monday, March 23, 2009

Sleepless in Belgium

Before moving abroad I was pretty predictable in my bedtime routine. I was the one who fell asleep like clockwork on the couch every night around 9:30 PM. It was like I hit a wall and there was nothing that could keep me from sleep. Kirk would have the unpleasant job of waking me around midnight when he was ready for bed and literally pushing me upstairs to our bedroom. It was a little bit embarrassing. But what was a busy working mom to do?

I don't know what it is, but in Belgium I am up til midnight every night. And I don't even notice it. I still wake up with little Miss Connor by 6:45 AM every morning, but somehow I have this ability to stay awake longer. Maybe it is my obsession to document on this blog or the temptation to plan travel details every night that keeps me up. Maybe I just appreciate the down time after Connor goes to sleep that much more. Maybe it is because we don't turn on a TV or maybe it is something in the European air, who knows? All I know is that we are night owls here.

No comments: