Saturday, March 28, 2009

I Wouldn't Be a Good Belgian Expat if I Didn't Write About It

I wouldn't be a good Brussels Expat if I didn't take the time to whine a little bit about the most annoying part of living here. There is dog poop in streets - everywhere. It is like walking in a landmine field. You have to dodge here and there. And probably an apropos time to admit this major city flaw since I have managed to step in it twice this week! How embarrassing and gross!

I just think it is culturally accepted that you don't have to pick up after your dog. No use complaining too much about it though. It ain't going to change. Just part of the story of living here. Just won't wear any fancy-dancy shoes I care very much about and that aren't wipeable on the cobblestone streets.

But so you don't end this post thinking about dog poop I will counter with my favorite part about walking the streets here, especially right now. Passerbys are always carrying huge bouquets of flowers these days (sorry I don't have a photo of THAT for you). Enormous packages of flowers with stems as thick as a football. Just the way people in NYC would carry a newspaper with them - very nonchalantly under their arms. It makes me smile. The flowers here are so affordable, fragrant, and fresh. We should buy more flower bouquets in the US and just carry them around like it is no big deal!

1 comment:

Shannon Balloon said...

I remember those flowers - what a great memory!