Sunday, March 15, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

We are just home from a fun weekend in Normandy, France. It made for a long roadtrip from Brussels - but totally worth every mile (more on that later). We got home last night and immediately stacked up the laundry basket and unpacked everywhere. It amazes me how quickly we can create that "lived in" effect by spewing our bag contents everywhere. Dirty sippy cups, toys, books, clothes, and destination information and receipts seem to literally fill this small apartment in the blink of an eye.

But you know what, I love coming home. When I was young Mom used to always chant "Home again, Home again, Jiggety jig" when driving up the driveway. I say it now when we return from our travels; there is something comforting and wonderful about coming home after a full trip. Connor jumps in the door and runs to all of her toys and animal friends so happy to see them again. You would think we were gone a year instead of a weekend! I think while she likes being with us for these stretches, it is nice to get home and to have some space for her to play more independently.

And honestly - don't laugh - but there is something gratifying and renewing about washing clothes. It is like the journey ends and restarts with the completion of the laundry loads. It is also fun to load the photos to the computer to see the memories from a trip. Kinda like a final goodbye to the experience. And then the best part of all...Kirk inevitably looks at me and says, "I had fun with you this weekend" and I wholeheartedly agree.

No comments: