Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Bubble Man

So when you live in the heart of down town of any major city, there are oddities. The perks are good transportation links, an abundance of restaurant choices and always something going on. The challenges are "always something going on" and some rather strange folks from time to time. Don't get me wrong - I feel very safe in Brussels and especially in our apartment. But you never know what or who are you going to see in the day.

Case in point - Last week I was walking to the ATM and noticed that strangely there were bubbles floating all around me and Connor's stroller. Hmmm. Bubbles? In the heart of the city? That is a little strange. I looked around to see if there were any children with bubble-blowing parents around...and this is what I saw:A random guy just blowing bubbles into the air on the street corner while the world bustled all around him during the morning rush hour. Not sure what his backpack is all about and I couldn't help but crack a smile. I mean he is seriously living in his own world just blowing bubbles over and over again to no one in particular. It was funny to see everyone hurrying by in the oncoming bubbles and not even pausing, just pretending like they weren't there. And also watching the bubbles stray off by themselves far and wide - in groups and the occasional solo bubble.

I thought maybe this was a one time thing for this guy, but wouldn't you know it yesterday I saw him again in the same spot doing the same thing. Needless to say Connor thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I didn't get very close to the guy, but must admit he did add a little odd happiness to the day!

And speaking of bubbles - have you ever used Gymboree bubbles? Carol brought us some last week and MAN they are some rockin' bubbles! They last 10 times longer than the drug store brand and are super strong. They sit on the floor (unpopped) for hours until you pop them. Another hit with my little one:



2 comments:

Dallas said...

This guy kind of sounds like Baton Bob in Atlanta. I always loved seeing him march around in his fancy costumes. He was so cheery and just wanted to make people smile.

Katie C. said...

And Gymboree bubbles don't leave icky spots on your hardwoods when they pop ten minutes latter...extra bonus!