Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Goodness, My Guinness!

If you go to Dublin, you have to make time for a visit to the Guinness Storehouse! It is here that Arthur Guinness began brewing Guinness beer in 1759. By 1868, it was the biggest brewery in the world. I am not a Guinness fan at all - or a beer fan for that matter - but I was still excited to see where all the Guinness magic happens. And I knew it would be especially meaningful for Kirk who loves the brew. The Guinness museum was tons of fun. There ended up being so much to see and do. They definitely know how to market and appeal to drinkers and non-drinkers alike. The first exhibit gives a hands on look to the Guinness ingredients:This ingredient is WATER. It makes me laugh to see us under the large waterfall. Because we were already soaking wet from the rain outside. You can see the remnants of wetness on my shirt in this shot.
There was an entire floor dedicated to Guinness marketing. It reminded me a lot of Coca-Cola marketing tactics. The "My Goodness, My Guinness" motto is very clever and fun to say. We watched the reel of advertisements and belly laughed with Connor the entire time!
Kirk got guidance and practiced "pouring the perfect pint." Look how happy he is! Pouring a Guinness is quite scientific. It has to sit for several minutes at 3/4 full and then gently tip in the top part. My husband was a pro though!
We settled into one of the rooms where an Irish band was playing. We sat on the floor at the back and Connor swayed around shyly. But before too long Connor grabbed her dolly "Molly O'Connor" and together they boldly danced and RAN from one end of the "dance floor" to the other. She had a blast. I was so surprised. The band thought it was great as did the small audience. Of course all of this dance fun had to take place without shoes (A battle I just won't worry about unless I have to or it is not safe. She just LOVES to take her shoes off.)

Just check out those dirty feet! But they are black feet at the expense of so much fun!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, I loved Dublin - and especially the Guiness museum. Yum :)